Fleet efficiency solutions
Government fleet vehicles bring us services and help run the utilities we rely on every day. Government fleets present a large opportunity to reduce petroleum consumption.
|Agency||2009 annual fleet fuel costs|
|Garfield Public Library District *||$19,300|
|Town of Parachute||$30,520|
|City of Rifle||$100,700|
|Town of Silt||$44,058|
|Town of New Castle||$47,896|
|City of Glenwood Springs||$172,712|
|Town of Carbondale||$53,425|
|Garfield 16 School District||$44,031|
|Garfield Re-2 School District||$154,541|
|Roaring Fork School District **||$202,497|
|Garfield NECI TOTAL||$1,562,226|
* Garfield Public Library District did not own any vehicles in 2009. Fuel expenses represent mileage reimbursements rather than actual fuel purchases.
** Roaring Fork School District figures exclude costs associated with
schools in Basalt.
Using these recommendations, Colorado state government reduced fuel consumption by 11 percent in FY 2008-09 compared to the FY 2006-07 baseline. Colorado state government is well on its way to meet the state Climate Action Plan target of a 25 percent reduction by 2012.
- Track vehicle energy usage
- Select the most efficient vehicle for each day’s use
- Reduce vehicle miles traveled
- Improve vehicle efficiency
- Improve driver efficiency
- Limit use of 4x4 vehicles
- Use life-cycle cost in vehicle purchase planning
- Buy efficient vehicles
- Plan for electric vehicles
- Increase use of biofuels
- Increase use of natural gas
- Reduce tailpipe pollutants
- Reduce diesel particulate emissions
Take a closer look at the order of recommended actions. Note that energy efficiency measures come first, before renewable energy measures.
Cost-effective strategies usually start with low-cost energy efficiency improvements and then move to renewable energy, such as biofuels.
Fleet Efficiency Workshop; CNG Workshop
April 13, 2012
Vehicle Fleets in the Clean Energy Economy workshop
Feb. 5, 2010
In this section
Reducing fuel consumption cuts carbon emissions and saves money. These pages offer proven means to reduce fuel consumption in government fleets.
Real-world examples of fleet efficiency:
Transportation Case Studies